|P O Box 4313
Baton Rouge, LA 70821-4313
Office of Environmental Services
Vega has worked at DEQ about 15 years, most recently as attorney supervisor. He has been deputy general counsel, staff attorney and a permit writer for the agency. He is a graduate of Tulane Law School and holds an undergraduate degree from Tulane.
Organization and Functions
The Office of Environmental Services is divided into four divisions:
Function: To ensure the protection of air quality by issuing permits and standards protective of human health and the environment.
- Air Permits
- Air Permits Procedures and Guidance
- Emission Reduction Credits (ERC) Banking
- Air Permit Data Upload (APDU)
- State Implementation Plan
- Stack Testing
- Air Dispersion Modeling
- Air Toxics and Criteria Pollutant Emission Inventories
Guilliams has worked at DEQ 26 years. He holds a Bachelor of Science degree in zoology from LSU. Guilliams was administrator in waste permits for two years, then administrator of water permits for three years.
Function: To ensure the protection of water quality by issuing permits and standards protective of human health and the environment.
- Biosolids Permits
- Industrial Water Permits
- Municipal and General Water Permits
- Water Quality Modeling
- Water Quality Standards and Assessment
Silva has over 20 years of experience in the geology field. He has served as the Geologist Supervisor for Geological Services under the Waste Permits Division since 2005. Before working for DEQ, Silva worked for the Louisiana Geological Survey and Basin Research Institute. He has a Bachelor of Science degree in geology and Master of Science degree in environmental management from LSU.
Function: To ensure protection of the soil and groundwater resources by issuing permits and standards that are protective of human health and the environment.
Solid and Hazardous Waste Permitting and Construction
- Permiting of Solid and Hazardous Waste Facilities
- Review Landfill Construction Quality Assurance Testing Data
- Review of Comprehensive Performance Test (CPT) Plans for Hazardous Waste Combustors
- Oversight of CPT Compliance Burns and Review of CPT Test Results
- Review Groundwater Monitoring Plans and Reports, Groundwater Monitoring Well Installation or Plugging and Abandonment Plans and Reports, Alternate Source or Natural Variability Demonstration Reports, and Corrective Action Plans and Reports
- Evaluate Groundwater Monitoring and Statistical Data
- Review Closure Plans
- Conduct Groundwater Monitoring System Inspections
- Review Authorization for Used Oil Transfer Facilities and HW-1 Forms
- Review facility’s proposed operation
- Review P.E. certified SPCC plan
- Perform start up inspections
- Grant/Deny UOTF authorization
Nolan has been with DEQ 25 years and has served in various roles. She has attended Louisiana College She has bachelor’s and master’s degrees in biology.
Function: To facilitate public participation and provide administrative, database, certifications, accreditations and notifications support to the media-based permits division.
Administrative Completeness of Applications
Questions about Applications
Change of Names
TEMPO Masterfile Maintenance
Standards Requirement Library
TEMPO Reference Tables
Registering of Solid Waste Transporters and Generators
RCRA Info Database
Annual Hazardous Waste Reports
Asbestos and Lead Accreditations
Asbestos and Lead Training Providers
Asbestos Notifications for Demolition and Renovations
Asbestos Disposal Verification Forms (ADVFs)
Lead Project Notifications
Lead letters of approval for contractors
Louisiana Environmental Lab Accreditation Program
The mission of the environmental services program is to ensure that the citizens have a clean and healthy environment to live and work in for present and future generations. This will be accomplished by regulating pollution sources, providing permitting activities consistent with laws and regulations, providing interface between the department and businesses and customers, providing permit support services and improved public participation The permitting activity will provide single entry/contact point for permitting, including a multi-media team approach; improved permit tracking; and the ability to focus on applications with highest potential for environmental impact.