Promoting voluntary pollution prevention and waste reduction to improve the quality of Louisiana's environment.
ELP Fall Meeting
Driving Directions to LDEQ
Awards from Archives
2013 Awards Program
2012 Awards Program
ELP Pollution Reduction Powerpoint
Awards Descriptions & Pictures
2011 Awards Program
2010 Awards Program
The mission of the Louisiana Environmental Leadership Program (ELP) is to promote a cleaner and better environment for Louisiana through voluntary pollution prevention, waste reduction and/or other environmental stewardship efforts.
The Louisiana Environmental Leadership was established in 1995 as a voluntary cooperative effort between the Louisiana Department of Environmental Quality and various Louisiana industries. It was fully operational by 1997 to promote pollution prevention and other efforts, in the pursuit of environmental excellence and leadership. The current program is comprised of Louisiana large, medium and small businesses, federal facilities, municipalities, non-governmental organizations, and schools and universities. Any organization committed to improving the quality of Louisiana’s environment through pollution prevention, waste reduction and other environmental improvements is eligible to join the program as a participating member.
Participants in this program must commit to supporting the ELP core principles outlined below:
- Participants should minimize adverse impacts on human health and the environment; this should be reflected in their policies and procedures, regulatory and business decisions;
- Participants should have internal management systems which lead to continuous improvement in their environmental performance;
- Participants should use the waste management hierarchy, (source reduction, recycling, treatment, and disposal) as guidance for managing environmental issues and set goals to improve the state's air, water, and land;
- Participants should be proactive in communicating with stakeholders regarding environmental matters and concerns.
- Submit a completed ELP Enrollment Form
- Submit a brief plan that highlights and describes your pollution prevention and waste reduction goals.
- Participating members must provide yearly updates so the ELP can track progress towards goals
Membership is renewed every three years upon demonstrated measurable results. This is strictly a voluntary program. Plans and goals may be modified at any time, and not meeting goals will not be used by the LDEQ in any judgmental manner whatsoever.
- Networking & Resources
- Regulatory & Administrative Incentives (under development)
By joining the program you are recognized by your community as an organization committed to maintaining and improving the quality of Louisiana's environment. The secretary of the LDEQ will acknowledge your participation by letter and each new member will be awarded a membership certificate at the annual awards ceremony.
Members of the ELP can participate in periodic meetings, conferences, and seminars/workshops sponsored by the Environmental Leadership Program. Members will be able to obtain information and resources on various pollution prevention opportunities and other environmental management and conservation topics as well as hear from other leaders around the state that are implementing projects.
One of the highlights of the ELP is that members can participate and be recognized in the annual Environmental Leadership Awards for outstanding achievement in Pollution Prevention, Community Environmental Outreach, Outstanding Environmental Ordinance & Enforcement and Environmental Management Systems. Awardees in these categories are recognized annually by the LDEQ secretary at a highly publicized ceremony.
- 2010 Awards Program *New*
- 2009 Awards Program
- 2008 Awards Program
Pollution Prevention Progress Reports
Steering Committee Members
For information on this program contact:
Louisiana Department of Environmental Quality
Environmental Leadership Program
Post Office Box 4301
Baton Rouge, Louisiana 70821-4301
Linda Brown, 225-219-3954
For more information on the 2010 Environmental Leadership Awards click here.