Water Quality Standards and Assessment
Water quality in Louisiana is managed under the two broad areas of surface water and groundwater. Surface water management seeks to protect the quality of all waters of the state, including rivers, streams, bayous, lakes, reservoirs, wetlands, estuaries, and many other types of surface water. The Aquifer Evaluation and Protection Unit seeks to protect the quality of all waters found in underground aquifers as well as the surface water sources of that groundwater. For more information on surface water quality data, standards, and assessment please email the Water Planning and Assessment Division.
2020 Louisiana Water Quality Inventory: Integrated Report (305(b)/303(d)) - The public notice period for the 2020 Louisiana Water Quality Inventory: Integraged Report (305(b)/303(d)) has closed. The report is currently being finalized for submittal to EPA. It will be posted here upon finalization by LDEQ and approval by EPA.
FINAL 2018 Louisiana Water Quality Inventory: Integrated Report (305(b)/303(d)) - On November 20, 2019, the 2018 Louisiana Water Quality Integrated Report was approved by EPA with six deferred actions for dissolved oxygen on six subsegments. The deferrals resulted in changing the six original assessments of full support for dissolved oxygen back to the 2016 assessments of impaired. All six assessments will be reevaluated during the 2020 IR process. The changes can be identifed in the Appendix A spreadsheet by yellow highlighting. All other portions of the report have been fully approved by EPA. The assessments contained in the report are now considered final.
Water Quality Trading
2016 Triennial Review - Surface Water Quality Standards for Louisiana
A Long-Term Vision for Assessment, Restoration, and Protection under the Clean Water Act Section 303(d) Program
All Other Activities, Web Maps and Reports
- Water Data Portal - Surface water quality data collected by LDEQ for various projects at locations throughout the state.
- LDEQ Interactive Mapping Application (LIMA) - This application allows users to access a wide variety of geographic information system (GIS) layers, including water body subsegments (assessment units) and ambient monitoring sites found in the Water Data Portal.
- Quality Assurance Project Plan for the Ambient Surface Water Quality Monitoring Network (QAPP_1004_R09)
- Water Quality Management Plan/Continuing Planning Process
- Water Quality Assessments - Louisiana Water Quality Inventory: Integrated Report (305(b)/303(d)) - Surface water assessments to determine needs for protection and improvement of water quality. Reports from 2012 through the FINAL 2018 are available.
- Total Maximum Daily Load (TMDL) Program
- Nutrient Management Strategy - Learn more about what Louisiana is doing to manage nutrients in state surface waters.
- Water Quality Regulations and Standards - Louisiana's Water Quality Regulations can be found at the link for Part IX: Water Quality, with Louisiana's Surface Water Quality Standards in Chapter 11 of the document.
- BEACH Act Recreational Criteria for Louisiana’s Coastal Marine Primary Contact Recreation Waters - On May 20, 2016, LDEQ adopted final BEACH Act Criteria for Louisiana’s coastal marine waters (Rule WQ092 in Louisiana Register (http://www.doa.la.gov/osr/REG/1605/1605.pdf). LDEQ submitted the final certified rule package to EPA Region 6 for approval on June 8, 2016 (EDMS Document ID 10221023);EPA approved the final rule on September 1, 2016 (EDMS Document ID 10341562). In summary, the revisions contained in rule WQ092 added a definition for enterococci to LAC 33:IX.107 and 1105. Additionally, revisions were made to LAC 33:IX.1113 and 1123 to adopt enterococci criteria for 133 coastal marine subsegments designated as primary contact recreation waters. Additional documentation relating to WQ092 rulemaking efforts can be found by searching EDMS using Agency Interest number 168750 and limiting the search to documents after October 2014 with WQ092 in the description field.
- Dissolved Oxygen Criteria Use Attainability Analysis in the Barataria and Terrebonne Basins
- Dissolved Oxygen Criteria Use Attainability Analysis in the Eastern Lower Mississippi River Alluvial Plains Ecoregion and Proposed Updates to Volume 4 of the Water Quality Management Plan
- Water Quality Surveillance - LDEQ's Surveillance Division conducts ambient surface water monitoring.
- Louisiana's Fishing and Swimming Advisories - Fish consumption and swimming advisories are issued jointly by the Louisiana Department of Health, Louisiana Department of Wildlife and Fisheries, and LDEQ.
- Harmful Algal Blooms (HABs)
- DEQ Mercury Initiative - LDEQ's program to reduce and where possible eliminate mercury releases to the environment.